The Opuntia cactus, commonly known as “Prickly Pear” in English and “Nopal” in Spanish, has a rich agricultural and culinary history. The cactus has been harvested for centuries in Mexico and the Southwest before being taken to other areas of the world. The plant contains two edible elements. The nopales (or nopalitos) are the pads of the cactus that can be despined, chopped and grilled for use as an ingredient for salads or an add-on to egg dishes. The fruit of the prickly pear cactus, also called “tuna” or prickly pear tuna is harvested for syrups, jams and candy.
Prickly Pear Benefits
Prickly pear cactus is credited as a superfood by many, as it offers a suite of health benefits from digestion health to hangover recovery. The edible opuntia ficus indica cactus and opuntia fruit contain potassium, calcium, iron and fiber among other properties which provide health benefits such as:
- Digestive Health - The concentration of fiber in prickly pears promotes a healthy stool, reduces constipation and prevents gastrointestinal issues.
- Immunity Support - One prickly pear fruit contains about 20 percent of the recommended Vitamin C intake for adults. This (along with B-vitamins) promotes white blood cell growth and acts as an antioxidant to fight off disease.
- Heart Health - The combination of potassium and fiber helps to maintain a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Diabetes - For some patients with type 2 diabetes, a single dose of the cactus extract can decrease blood glucose levels up to 48 percent.
- Hangover Remedy - Clinically supported studies have shown prickly pear extract can reduce hangover symptoms such as nausea, dry mouth and anorexia. Learn more here.
Prickly Pear ExtractVariations of Nopal cactus water have been used by indigenous medicine men for ages. So it makes sense why opuntia extract is used as a key ingredient. Prickly pear extract helps with recovery following drinking and/or exercise. The cactus protects proteins and lipids as your body breaks down alcohol. It also acts as an antioxidant to fight against free radicals that can damage cells. The anti-inflammatory properties reduce the severity of nausea while helping muscles recover faster after workouts.
what the people have to say
Whether it’s for working out, leisure or recovery, RESQWATER is my go-to drink for my busy life.
Matt Skura, Center for the Baltimore Ravens
I like the taste of it and it helps with recovery
I think it saved me at my brother’s wedding” (and) “I’ve tried a few after hard workouts and I wasn’t sore the next day.
Bill W. XPE Sports
As a leader in Sport Performance Training, we at XPE Sports are constantly working to provide our athletes with an edge. We have utilized RESQWATER with our athletes when they may need additional boost of energy or assist in the recovery process.
“Seemed like it worked well as a pre-hydrator or post hydrator for short workouts”
Your product allows us to keep hydrated whether we are in the tropics, a long weekend wine tasting or out playing golf. We always take a few bottles with us even when we are traveling on business trips…